Sunday, March 21, 2010

CO-OWNER Jason Panton in MY KINGSTON


MY KINGSTON - JASON PANTON

Style Observer

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Jason Panton - Creative Director/CEO I&I CLOTHING CO. (www.iandiclothingco.com)

Co-Owner BASE Kingston Lifestyle Boutique

Graphic Designer/Artist

What are your earliest memories of Kingston?

1/1

My house, my dog Chummy and potholes. I left Kingston at an early age due to my dad pursuing opportunities abroad, so for me it was simple things like the sounds, smells and food. But as a young kid the first thing I noticed that was different was the potholes.

What do you miss when you are not in Kingston?

The good meditation I get here and the people. People always talk about the "vibe" in Kingston, and it's hard to articulate, but probably what I miss most is the spirit of the people in Kingston. It's the New York City of the Caribbean. Between the creativity, food, friends and sessions... it's a great place to live and visit. If you know Kingston you love it... if you don't it's an enigma and I think that is what makes it particularly special.

What are your favourite home comforts?

As my friends and family know, I love juice...any natural juice: sugar cane, June plum (has to have ginger), cherry, all blends and mixes. I can't get enough! If I have juice and some hard dough bread I think I could survive for days. Besides that, Jamaican breakfast is the best.

What would you do if you were mayor (of Kingston) for a day?

If I were mayor for a day, I would create a national day of community service. I think more people in Kingston, and the world for that matter, need to reach across monetary, class and neighbourhood lines, and do something for the good of the broader community and those less fortunate. I would even require that all high school students volunteer hours in order to graduate. We shouldn't wait for a disaster to realise how interdependent our world is. Like Capleton says: "No matter how big you are, we are living in a small world."

Share with us the title of the last book you read.

The Mystery of Capital: Why Capitalism Triumphs in the West and Fails Everywhere Else by Hernan de Soto; and The book of Psalms.

What's your middle name?

Alexander

And the last bit of music that stirred your soul?

My regular rotation is Bob Marley, Dennis Brown, Jacob Miller, Sizzla, Jah Cure, Garnett Silk. I mix in a little dancehall, hip hop, some R&B, and a little dub step/electronic here and there, but if I don't listen to my regulars on a daily basis something is wrong. I love the old roots reggae; I think it was the golden era, it most definitely drives my creativity.

What was your last bit of retail therapy?

Buying for BASE Kingston. I am a very selective shopper for myself, and I only buy pieces that I love and denim that I want to wear over and over again. I really prefer to have things in my closet than have to shop at the last minute for an event.

Which cologne are you currently splashing?

John Varvatos Vintage.

What is your preferred beverage?

I am not a drinker so any natural juice!

What has been your most memorable meal in Kingston?

Snapper at White Bones. I'm hungry just thinking about it.

What upsets you?

Upset is a strong word...what bothers me is people who exhibit ignorant and ungrateful behaviour.

What are your current projects?

Opening BASE Kingston; working on my Summer collection for I&I; two magazines in Miami; a couple of websites; and I have just finished up artwork for the Bob Marley Movement Caribbean Festival in Miami. I think that's it for this week.

What's your advice to a first-time visitor to Kingston?

Make a friend who lives in Kingston. It's like NY or LA, it helps to know someone on the inside. On your first trip don't sleep, just go hard then go home... it will all make sense when you have recovered from 'body come down'. Then think about the next trip around one of our many national holidays. Repeat several times before you take a trip to "relax".

What's your philosophy?

We rule our destiny..."Even today with faith, courage and a just cause, David can still conquer Goliath." - His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I.

No comments:

Post a Comment